Before You Go:
The trail is a mix of shaded and open space. It only takes 20 minutes of direct sun to get a nice sunburn in Florida. Sunscreen is recommended for the fair of skin. Always recommended – helmet, pair of good sunglasses and cushioned gloves.
The starting point for this ride was Long Center in Clearwater located at 1501 North Belcher Road, Clearwater, FL 33765. It is easily accessible from U.S. Highway 19 approaching from either the north or south. From the north, head west on Sunset Point Road and then south on Belcher. From the south, head southwesterly on NE Coachman Road and turn north onto Belcher Road. Long Center sits about 1/2 way between these two major roads. It is on the east side of Belcher Road and there is ample parking on the weekends.
15.5 Miles – from Long Center east and north along the Ream Wilson Trail then north along the Bayshore Linear Greenspace in Palm Harbor. Turning about in Philippe Park to return to the point of origin.
- There are facilities in Long Center
- There are facilities at the Safety Harbor Marina
- There are facilities within Philippe Park
- There are a few sections where the trail width is very narrow especially some of the bridges along the western portion of the trail.
- There is a 10% grade hill around the entrance to Kapok Park.
- The scenery in the western portion is heavily wooded and crosses several streams.
- This isn’t a straight arrow trail. There is a fair amount of twists and turns along the western portion of the trail.
- The 10% grade hill that I mentioned as a con above 🙂
- The views of Old Tampa Bay along the eastern end of the trail as you turn north.
- Safety Harbor Marina is a perfect rest stop.
This is one of my favorite rides in Pinellas County. You ride through a variety of ecosystems and the trail has enough turns to keep it interesting. If you have the time, a side trip through Kapok Park is worth the time and effort.
Happy Trails ~ John